Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Per Se

"When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about."  T.K.

In my opinion, my hubby is t he best chef in the world... To him however that chef would be Thomas Keller. About 1 1/2 years ago, we did an inpromtu trip to San Francisco and tried our luck at obtaining reservations at the fabled French Laundry; key word: Tried.  We settled for walking (without permission) the property & taking a few pictures.

Fast forward 1 1/2 years and it is my hubby's big 3-5. I decided that the bes present ever would be to create a series of surprises, starting with flying lessons, and ending with a cocktail reception. What did I also get in between both of the above gifts? Prime time reservations at Per Se! Below, its a brief recap of the most fabulous affair with food either of us had ever had.

Entering the Time Warner Building at Columbus Circle for the thousand time had a new meaning. It was July 8th, 6:30pm and we were 10 minutes away from our dinner reservation at Per Se. We were both excited as to what was awaiting us on the 4th level of the building. Immediately after arriving and taking the obvious picture of the namesake, we were warmly greeted and taken to our table. With its floor to ceiling windows, the restaurant is divided into two levels and has no more than 18 tables all facing the beauty of NYC and Central Park. Once seated we decided to experience the Chef's Tasting Menu; and began our 3 hours culinary journey.
 
View from our table

The night started with a traditional amuse bouche of "Goujeres" or a typical french finger food of puff pastries filled with warm delicious goat cheese; as well as the mini ice cream cone with salmon tartare. From there, the menu continued to a selection of 13 course made of absolute dreams, starting with Thomas Keller's signature "Oysters & pearls" dish; which was Sabanyon of Pearl Tapioca served with Island Creek Oysters and sterling white sturgeon caviar , which I have renamed "my When harry Met Sallie" moment and ending with a "Raspberry Pavlova" which left me wanting more.

 
Oysters and Pearls


During one of our conversations, my hubby expressed how he would love to be able to "peak" at the kitchen. Of course 2 hours later me and my big mouth asked our amazing waitress if it was at all possible to see the kitchen, to which she complied very excitedly I may add. I must say that the kitchen is what chef's dream of. One would never guess that a full swing 13 course dinner menu was been created time and time again for the patrons seating outside. It was the utmost quiet, coordinated kitchen I have yet to see.

After dinner, coffee and homemade mini doughnuts were given. And as leaving, we were sent off with nice parting gift bags of homemade French butter cookies (sandwich) filled with a dark ganache.

My one complaint is that there was not many pictures taken during the dinner. I was able to snap a few ones here and there, but otherwise that was it. And to be honest; I am not sure I had the time to concentrate in the task of picture taking as  I was too busy trying to figure out how the next dish would or could top the last one.

So would I come back to Per Se? Yes I would... But first I am setting my sights in getting into the French Laundry next spring for our 5th wedding anniversary, It would be a dream to visit the "mother ship" after having tried the "offspring"

If you are a foodie, I obviously recommend that you dine at Per Se at least once. I will not deny that this meal will cost a pretty penny just for the food alone. However both, the amazing food creation and the outstanding service will transport you to a world you have never imagine existed, and make every single penny you spend here soo worth it!



Birthday Boy







No comments:

Post a Comment